Visit AffordableConnectivity.gov, or call ACP at (877) 384-2575.
Affordable Connectivity Program
ACP provides a discount of up to $30 / month on the recipient's phone or internet bill. Additionally, recipients get a discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer.
(Tribal benefits: up to $75 / month + the same $100 discount).
Lifeline Program for Low-Income Consumers
Lifeline provides a discount of $9.25 / month on the recipient's phone or internet bill.
(Tribal benefit: a discount of up to $34.25 per month, and up to a $100 reduction for first-time connection charges).
Leveraging the programs to improve client success
High-speed data & Microsoft Teams
"High-speed data" is important for SAGE clients. When a cellular customer uses their monthly allowance of high-speed data, the company will "throttle" (slow) the data speed, often by a large margin. When a cellular provider throttle's a client's data speed, there is a significant possibility it will be too slow to operate Teams. Since many SAGE clients have phone plans that are marketed with the government assistance programs, and many clients use their phone as their primary source of internet connectivity, clients will use their allowance of high-speed data if they do not understand how it works or have a plan for managing their data usage.
These are some of the cellular providers that market themselves for these government programs. The high-speed data allowances shown here are for the plans marketed as "free with ACP / Lifeline."
Table created 12/16/23; services may change.
Choosing the right plan
If the primary concern for the client is the amount of high-speed data allotted per month, then it will likely be best for the client to find a plan that offers unlimited high-speed data and apply the discount toward that. It may end up costing the client around $10 / month to maintain, but that is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that they do not have to count gigabytes every day.
If a client cannot afford $10 / month and requires a plan which is free with ACP / Lifeline, then switching to a plan with the most high-speed data will likely be worth the effort. With the right knowledge, planning and data monitoring tools, anyone can limit their data usage to under 25GB / month.
Please, call your current cellular provider and ask if your cell phone is currently locked to the network.
- If the representative says yes, then ask the representative one more question:
- What are the requirements to unlock the phone?
- If your cell phone is compatible with the SIM cards used by the provider who you want to switch to.
(For example, if your current cellular provider is Air Talk, and you want to switch to Metro PCS, then you can ask the AirTalk representative if your phone is compatible with the SIM cards used by Metro PCS. The representative will need your phone's IMEI number, so if you call them using a different phone than the one you want to bring to the new plan, you will need to have that phone [or the phone's IMEI number] with you when you make this call).
- (Optional) If you don't remember if you signed a contract when getting your current phone plan, you can ask for that information as well just to be sure.
What is a household?
A household is a group of people who live together and share income and expenses (even if they are not related to each other.) If you live with another adult who receives ACP you will need to complete a Household Worksheet.
Examples of one household:
- A married couple who live together is considered a household. They must share the ACP discount.
- An adult who lives with and is financially supported by friends or family is considered part of the same household as the people who financially support them. They must share the ACP discount.
Examples of one household:
- Four roommates who live together but do not share money are four separate households. Each roommate can have their own ACP discount.
- Thirty seniors who live in an assisted-living home are thirty separate households.
How to Complete a Household Worksheet Online:
- Go to AffordableConnectivity.gov
- In the top right corner click “Sign In”.
- Enter your username and password.
- From your home page click the blue “Return to Application” button.
- The next page will say that we could not confirm information during our review.
- Click “Next”.
- On the next page there will be questions about your household.
How to Complete a Household Worksheet by Mail:
- Print and complete the Household Worksheet
- On a blank piece of paper, create a coversheet by writing your application ID and last name.
- Mail the coversheet and complete Household Worksheet to the following address:
ACP Support Center
P.O. Box 9100
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773-9100